Required Forms

All student employees will complete the following forms upon hire:

  • Federal I-9 Form – verifies your identity and eligibility to work in the United States. Please refer to the following link for a list of the proper documents you will need in order to complete this form:
  • W-4 Form – complete so the employer can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay. Generally, UA student assistant employees are exempt from paying FICA taxes, provided they are enrolled at least part-time in a degree program and working part–time.
  • A-4 or Student Exemption A-4E Form – complete so the employer can withhold the correct state income tax from your pay. Student employees may claim exemption from State tax if they plan to receive less than $1,800 of income in the year.
  • UA Direct Deposit Form – Student employees must have their paychecks directly deposited into a personal checking or savings or account. Direct Deposit must be set-up online through the Banner Self-Service Direct Deposit form. View instructions and links to set-up a direct deposit account.

Please note: all forms of identification must be original. Photocopies of identification documents cannot be accepted.

  • To access the Tax Forms listed above please log in to myBama and click the Employee Tab.  In the Banner Self Service box, click Employee Services > Tax Forms.

Additional Forms

You may be required to complete additional employment forms, depending on your student status, your work assignment, or the UA department you will be working for. Student Assistants may also opt to complete additional voluntary forms to disclose information to UA.

International Student Employees
International students (in F-1 or J-1 status) will also be required to present the following documents for on-campus employment:

  • F-1 I-20 Document or J-1 DS-2019 Document, which lists The University of Alabama as your institution and your expected graduation date

International students that do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) must apply for one upon employment.  The SSN is not required to begin on-campus employment, but must be obtained immediately after being hired. Have your supervisor complete the SSN Student Employment Verification Form, then submit to Capstone International Services for validation.

For additional information, contact Capstone International Services at 205-348-5402.